On Mar 20, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Kevin Reid wrote:

> That normalization on read is is my case 1 above — it is necessary _for that
> implementation_. A conformant implementation could use a different strategy
> which does not normalize on Float64 read, and this would be unobservable, so
> the spec should not bother to specify it.
>
> However, lack of normalization on Float64 write _is_ potentially observable
> (if the implementation does not normalize all NaNs from all sources).
> Therefore, I argue, the spec should specify that normalization happens on
> write; and it happens that an implementation can omit that as an explicit
> step, with no observable difference, if and only if its representation of NaN
> in JS values (from all possible sources, not just typed arrays) is normalized.

The buffer contents may have come form an external source or the buffer may be
accessible for writes by an agent that is not part of the ES implementation.
The only thing that the ES implementation has absolute control over are its own
reads from a buffer and the values it propagates from those reads.

Allen