Hi,

Based on recent messages on es-discuss, I feel that both es-discuss and apparently even TC39 meetings with notes have left ambiguity in what people understood the TC39 agreement was. I believe this ambiguity is due to this pretty bad communication format called the English language (For anyone in doubt, French is as bad; I'm afraid it's a property inherent to natural languages :-) ).

This is wasting everyone time and energy. This generate frustration additional to the already existing frustration caused by standardizing __proto__ at all. So I would like to encourage TC39 to discuss around and create consensus around a test suite. Most people write code snippets anyway in emails. Let's just gather them and make sure everyone agree on the test suite. As a materialization of this encouragement, I have started a __proto__ test suite [1] that attempts to capture the current consensus and recent discussions.

A couple of things:
* It is CC0 licenced to allow ECMA to pull these tests, copy them, adapt them without any issue. * It is built with qunit [2]. I would have loved to use the ES5 test harness tool, but its API is unfortunately completly undocumented. I believe qunit is clear and unambiguous enough to make a better job at capturing the current consensus and list places where there is no consensus. (I hope Github will play a role in that too :-) ) * To prevent (!) code reuse and enable cross-realm testing, I've embedded tests as inline <script> * I'll try to keep up with consensus and feedback, but I'm just one person. Feel free to send pull requests. Why not move the discussion to these pull requests if appropriate. * Feel free to fork and lead the project your own way if you think the way I do it is stupid. I won't get offended. My only goal here is for the __proto__ discussion to get more structure than it currently has. * For some tests, I have lost track of what's agreed on and even what are all the alternatives, so I've left a TODO. * I haven't run the tests in current browsers yet besides to check that I didn't have syntax errors :-)

I encourage everyone who cares to review the current tests and send feedback:
https://github.com/DavidBruant/ES6ProtoTests/blob/master/base.html
https://github.com/DavidBruant/ES6ProtoTests/blob/master/cross-realm.html
https://github.com/DavidBruant/ES6ProtoTests/blob/master/object%20literal.html

Can someone explain or write tests regarding what's supposed to happen for JSON, please?

Thanks,

David

[1] https://github.com/DavidBruant/ES6ProtoTests
[2] http://api.qunitjs.com/category/all/