"I'm not very interested in the classical vs prototypal battle. Both are
barely different mechanisms of specialization."

I couldn't disagree with that more strongly. Just because you can mimic
class easily with prototypes doesn't make them "barely different". If
you're not interested in that conversation, you can safely ignore
everything else I have to say, because you've effectively blown it off. Stick
your head in the sand if you like. The problem doesn't go away.

"I'm however very interested if you could take a look at the current
proposal and tell if you can pin down how the current proposal makes
classes harmful for code maintainability."

Basically, my argument is that the whole paradigm of a class with a single
ancestor, and any mention of that ancestor in the implementation of the
child (referring to the parent in the constructor, for instance), is
fundamentally flawed and problematic. `extends` harms code maintainability
by virtue of creating the brittle hierarchy / gorilla-banana problem I've
already described.

The problem isn't how it's done in JavaScript or ES6. The problem is that
it's done at all.

Class gets people thinking in a fundamentally broken paradigm for good OO
design.

I saw a recent example of one of the problems with single-ancestor
inheritance in a talk. I wish I could remember which one. The illustrations
were great:

Animal
  - Walking
    - Monkey
    - Human
  - Flying
    - Bird
    - Bee
  - Swimming
    - Fish
    - Whale

Now we need alligator and duck.

I understand that JavaScript doesn't restrict you from doing things like
mixins as well... but when you're 14 months into a project, and THEN you
have to add the alligator, suddenly you're mixing paradigms in ways that
diverge significantly from the style of the rest of the code base. At this
point, the code is already arthritic and brittle. Fitting these things in
at this point is a lot less trivial.

If you're relying on things like super in the rest of the code, how does
the new stuff properly invoke the constructors of multiple ancestors which
are designed to be single ancestors?

I can tell you how I've seen these situations handled in the real world,
virtually everywhere the problem has cropped up (pretty much everywhere
that class was relied on heavily). Massive refactors. Code rewrites. Lots
of wasted time.

Class sugar might save developers a few keystrokes today, but it will come
back to bite them hard later. Lots of people are paying for Backbone's
.extend().

If it added value, that would be one thing. But it doesn't actually do
anything that couldn't have been done just by replacing it with a
constructor that produced objects that could be passed into those
constructors to produce new objects. I have seen the problems in code at
Adobe, at Tout, and at BandPage (my last three jobs, that all used
Backbone).

The problem isn't with Backbone's particular implementation. I had the same
problems in C++, Java, and with John Resig's Simple Inheritance in
JavaScript.

The problem isn't with the ES6 implementation. It's the whole paradigm.

- Eric