July 15, 2013 1:37 PM

FWIW, exposing a new API because another API is broken in a particular
implementation is a known anti-pattern. We should fix problems at the
source.

Good point, but I believe that there are more potential sources of language tags passed to language negotiation, including programmed composition, feeding from unknown sources (databases etc.), or even manually entered by the user.

Having a function that enables us to canonicalize it (even the simplest part of that - upper/lower cases) allows to use compare operators (langTag1 == langTag2), or, in localization case, allows us to build a path to the resource on case sensitive systems.

Cheers,
g.