Perhaps there should be a spec somewhere for "misfeatures" like `a < b < c`
which linters ought to all reject.  It could then only include things that (if
we could turn back time) we probably would've liked to see in 'strict mode',
but can't because that ship sailed.

If certain features were always regarded as errors by linters, that would
certainly discourage their use.  The next step would be making chrome dev tools
have a built in linter that warns about these pseuso-errors/spec-mistakes.
Maybe if that goes well we'll be able to introduce the new semantics in 5 years
time.