On Jul 29, 2013, at 5:11 PM, David Bruant wrote:

The legacy [[Class]] internal property conflated these two concepts.  Sometimes
it was used for to ensure that a built-in method was operating upon an instance
that actually had the internal state or conformed to other implementation level
invariants needed by the method. Other times, [[Class]] was tested  for basic
external behavioral classification purposes that don't really care at all about
implementation level object invariants.

In most cases, the ES6 spec. language such as  "if O is an exotic X object" or "does
X have a [[XXX]] internal data property" works fine as a direct replacement of an ES5
[[Class]] test because there are a one-to-one correspond between a ES6 built-in that is represented
by specific kind of exotic object or that has a specific internal data property and with a ES5
built-in with the corresponding [[Class]] value.
Can all the [[Class]] replacement tests be passed by proxies in a way or another so that
a proxy can impersonate a given "class" of exotic object? (most likely by
having one of these objects as target)
Nope.  We would have had the same problems if we had kept [[Class]]. In ES<=5.1
[[Class]] is used to conflate situational specific testing for a number of
independent characteristics of objects.  Some of those characteristics can not be
transparently prloxied (for example this object reference directly refers a
special object representation with some specific implementation dependent
representation of some private state 0)
By "this object reference", are you talking about the "this" keyword? Even then, I wouldn't be sure to understand. Which part of ES5.1 are you referring to?
I believe a code snippet to explain would make things easier to understand.

Also, I fail to understand the difference between "if O is an exotic X object" and
"if O.[[Class]] === X".
There really isn't much.  But getting rid of [[Class]] enables us to separate
the previously conflated characteristics.
When you test for "if O is an exotic array object", what characteristic are you testing for, then?
This still feels like branding to me.

If proxies for arrays do not pass such tests, some built-ins behave in
unexpected ways.
What's expected?  Just because a proxy has an exotic array object as its target
doesn't mean that is functions as an exotic array.
This suggests that the opposite could be true, that is that a proxy with any
target might impersonates an array as long as it passes some tests. I wonder
how much of a good idea this is.
One of the goals for ES6 proxies was to enable self-hosting of built-ins.  In theory, there is no reason that a proxy
couldn't be use buy an implementation to implement its "exotic array objects".  However, because the spec.
explicitly distinguishes  "exotic array objects" from other built-in exotic object and from general proxies,
such a host implementation would still have to have a way to identify the proxy-implemented exotic arrays as such and
for test for them in every context where the spec. says an "exotic array object" is required. That branding
test would be that implementations way of implementing "is O is an exotic Array object".
Self-hosted code is privileged and may have some power not described by the ES spec (and as far as I know, that's actually the case both for SpiderMonkey and V8 self-hosted code). So self-hosted code can distinguish an actual array from a proxy, that's not an issue. Non-privileged code being able to distinguish an array and a proxy for an array is more worrisome.

The (granted implicit) model of "a proxy for exotic object X is seen by all
algorithms as an exotic object X" feels simpler even if it means that a proxy might
not act as an internal algorithm expects.
memory safety hazard.  Every place that checks for "is O an exotic X object" would have
to have a subsequent "is O a Proxy whose target is an exotic X" and take different code
paths.  If you screw it up, you may have memory safety issues.
That's an implementation hazard; not sure what your point is here.
Note that the design of proxies (can only be new objects, are limited to an immutable {target, handler} data structure, stratified API, etc.) go a long way in preventing memory safety issues. It sounds reasonable to think that implementors will do the necessary rest of work to prevent these issues in already implemented algorithms. Actually, if the stratification is respected and there is no free bypass, there is no reason to have memory safety issues.

In any case, regardless of how many tests a proxy passes, it has always a way
to wrongly behave after having passed the test.
The key things are hard dependencies between native code built-in methods that
expect specific fixed object layouts and the actual instances of those objects.
I don't think you're answering my point.
All tests that methods can pass are pre-conditions.
If a proxy can pass the test, it can fake it and then behave mistakenly.
If a proxy can't pass the test, then user-land code can distinguish an object from its target. Something has to be given up. And giving up on indistinguishability would defeat the purpose of proxies (and the expectation as feedback on Tom's library suggests).

However, this would be a breaking change for existing code explicitly wires
their prototype chain to inherit from Array.prototype.
Saving existing code from proxies is a dead end in my opinion.
This has nothing to do with Proxies.

Consider:

var x = [__proto__: Array.prototype].

In ES<=5.1
    Object.prototype.toString(x)  //returns "[object Object]"

If in ES6, Array.prototype has an built-in @@toStringTag property whose value is
"Array" then:
    Object.prototype.toString(x)  //returns "[object Array]"
oh ok. Sorry about that, I had completely misinterpreted your point here.

* Array.isArray
We've discussed the meaning of this in the past and have agreed that it should
be considered a test for exotic array-ness and in particular the length
invariant. A Proxy whose target is an exotic array may or may not qualify.
I don't really understand what you're testing here to checking the length
invariant.
It's an implementation internal test.  It is what it means to be "an exotic array
object". See 8.4.2 of the current ES6 draft for the complete specification of what it means to
be an "exotic array object"
Can a proxy be written to pass this test?
no, not with portable ES code.  The logic is within Array.isArray, not within
the object it is applied to.
If some code contains an Array.isArray test, it will behave differently if running against a membrane or normal objects. I don't think that's desirable. For membranes to be transparent, a proxy must be able to behave the *exact* same way its target would. Clearly if the logic of some built-in is within the built-in not within the object it is applied to, this is plain impossible.

It's worth noting that I hit upon these issues because users of my
harmony-reflect shim, which are using direct proxies today in ES5, have
reported them (see [1],[2]). This adds some evidence that users expect the
above built-ins to behave transparently w.r.t. proxies for their use cases. My
library patches some of these built-ins to recognize my own emulated proxies,
but this is just an ad hoc solution. ES6 users will obviously not be able to do
this.
They may expect this, but I don't see what generalizations we can make.
Whether a proxy over a built-in is behaviorally substitutable for the built-in
completely dependent upon the the definition of the specific proxy.
Again, this seems to suggest that a proxy could pretend to be a Date to one
algorithm, an Array to another and a RegExp to another. I'm not sure what good
comes out of that.
What do you mean to "be a Date".
I wrote "pretend to be a Date". That's at least to the algorithms testing, no matter how they do it.

The ES6 spec. defines Dateness very specifically.  It is an ordinary object
(ie, not a Proxy) that has a [[DateValue]] internal data property that can be
recognized as such by an implementation.  The only way the ES6 spec. provides
for creating such an object is via the Date[[@@create]] method defined in
15.9.3.5 of the current draft.  This method is inherited by subclass
constructors so  instances of subclasses of the Date constructor, by default,
also will pass the Dateness test.
Same problem than above about membrane transparency.

Aside, but related: instead of passing a target (an already built object), it might be an interesting idea to have a Proxy constructor that takes an @@create so that the target passes the @@create-related tests.

David