Le 13/08/2013 01:58, David Herman a écrit :
On Aug 8, 2013, at 2:08 PM, K. Gadd <k...@luminance.org> wrote:

Why is the slow script dialog box even relevant for setImmediate? As I
understand it, setImmediate is equivalent to DoEvents in Visual Basic/Windows
Forms and pumping the message loop in a normal C application. That is, you can
use setImmediate to make your application run as fast as possible while still
allowing the browser to pump messages, which ensures keyboard/mouse inputs are
processed and the window does not get flagged as unresponsive.
Yeah, I'm actually not at all clear which of (at least?) four plausible
semantics could be meant by setImmediate:

(a) push a new microtask (to the front of the current microtask list)
(b) enqueue a new microtask (to the back of the current microtask list)
(c) push a new event (to the front of the event queue)
(d) enqueue a new event (to the back of the event queue)

I'd always assumed it meant (d)
Yes, this is (d). I think I'm partially responsible for side-tracking the discussion to talk about microtasks. Sorry about that.

- I see *no* reasonable alternative to runaway microtask churn other than
slow-script dialog.
So did Dominic [1]. I suggested something else [2] and he found the idea interesting. What do you think?

David

[1] https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-August/032622.html
[2] https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-August/032630.html