On 9/30/2013 3:51 PM, Dmitry Soshnikov wrote:
Just re-read meeting notes, OK, cool on two scopes (seems like they are not in the spec yet). Want to double-check though: whether it will be possible to transpile now to ES3? From what I've seen in the notes, the head-scope will be able to access `this` value of the activation, etc. Not sure how to transpile now. Could someone give an example of a wrapper scope please, and confirm whether it's transpilable now?

I believe it is transpilable if you use an inner function scope. Someone correct me if my translations are semantically incorrect:

ES6:
```js
var x = 1, y = 2;
function foo(x = 3, y = y, z = y) {
  return [x, y, z];
}
```

ES3:
```js
var x = 1, y = 2;
function foo(x, y, z) {
  // defaults
  if (x === undefined) {
    x = 3;
  }
  if (y === undefined) {
    y = y; // essentially a no-op
  }
  if (z === undefined) {
    z = y;
  }

  // body
  return (function(x, y, z){
    return [x, y, z];
  }).call(this, x, y, z);
}
```

ES6:
```js
var x = 1, y=2;
function foo(x=3, y= (x = undefined, 4)) {
  return [x,y];
}
```

ES3:
```js
var x = 1, y=2;
function foo(x, y) {
  // defaults
  if (x === undefined) {
    x = 3;
  }
  if (y === undefined) {
    y = (x = undefined, 4);
  }

  // body
  return (function(x, y) {
    return [x, y];
  }).call(this, x, y);
}
```

ES6:
```js
function foo(bar = function() { return 'param-inner' }) {
  var ret = bar();
  function bar() {
    return 'body-inner';
  }
  return ret;
}
```

ES3:
function foo(bar) {
  // defaults
  if (bar === undefined) {
    bar = function() { return 'param-inner'; };
  }

  // body
  return (function(bar){
    var ret = bar();
    function bar() {
      return 'body-inner';
    }
    return ret;
  }).call(this, bar);
}

A clearer example of my own which I think demonstrates the scoping better (or exposes a problem with my understanding):

ES6
```js
function foo(x, y = function() { return x }) {
  x++;
  return x + y();
}

foo(1); // is this 3 or 4?