From: es-discuss [es-discuss-boun...@mozilla.org] on behalf of Brendan Eich
[bren...@mozilla.com]

> Our duty as a standards body includes specifying de-facto standards which
> browsers must implement to interop. __proto__ is one such.

It's worth highlighting this aspect of the situation. This duty of standards
bodies has, at least from what I can see from my limited vantage point, only
recently become apparent. But it's a crucial part of being a standards body
today.

Relevant reading, from the dawn of time when this was becoming apparent in the
HTML/web applications space (2004): http://ln.hixie.ch/?count=1&start=1085764602

(I look forward to people with more experience than me coming by to tell me
about how this is not as new-fangled a paradigm as I think it is :)