Le 17/12/2013 22:52, Alex Kocharin a écrit :
I believe ecmascript isn't versionless yet like html is, and that number means something.
As far as I'm concerned, ECMAScript is versionless. As versionless as HTML. Implementation aren't monolithically moving from one standard version to the other. I don't believe we've ever seen a browser with exactly ES3 or exactly ES5 (wait... maybe IE10?! but with IE11, they're back to "ES5+some ES6 features") Modulo spec bugs and history details, version n is fully backward-compatible with version n-1.
TC39 decided to move to a more iterative spec release schedule recently too.
The version has also never been exposed to the runtime which encourages people to do "version-agnostic feature detection".

Version numbers mean nothing. Version numbers are kept only for the same reason W3C produces "HTML5" and 5.1 and 6 spec. And I think the reason is that most people aren't used to how the web works and are reassured with classic versioning systems... so reassured some people pay a different price to the same company when they're sold a HTML4 site or an HTML5 site (because 5 > 4, you know...). True story.

Maybe versions is just better marketing because "in the next version" suggests a stronger progress than "in the next iteration"?

David