K. Gadd wrote:
The accuracy of this aside, history shows that most of my users are
not satisfied by 'just debug the JS, it's fairly readable'. Maybe
emscripten, gwt, etc. users are more fluent in JS and don't mind
debugging it, but based on what I've seen, maybe not...

I do think it's important that source maps don't obscure what's
happening at the JS level, though - presumably all the modern
debuggers let you toggle them back off once they're loaded, so that's
satisfied?

I think so. Bill's point is well taken, but a tangent. The problem people face is debugging in their primary source language, mainly. Any problems with JS-level debugging are lesser and more readily solved.