Since you ask for a response:

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Andrea Giammarchi <
andrea.giammar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> not sure I understand but ...
>
> > that makes no sense as hasProxyAsProto is not a Proxy
>
> it's inheriting from a Proxy so where is the surprise? it does what I'd
> expect it to do, pass through the inherited Proxy same as you pass through
> inherited get/set methods when creating from an object that has get/set
> behaviors

I was incorrectly assuming that the proto chain would not be consulted for
__proto__: it would be found on every object. Boris' post described the
mechanism of __proto__, then I could see why the get operation traversed
the proto chain and thus why my proxy's getter was called. (IMO, having a
getter high on the proto chain that uses 'this' (receiver) to return values
only known to the 'this' object is pretty evil business, even among
notoriously dubious functions like getters.)

May I suggest that trying to guess why someone is surprised is a better
strategy than telling them that you are not surprised.

> Moreover, since you inheriting a proxy that reacts on accessors you have
> the right behavior when you access `__proto__`, the `target.__proto__`
> should be returned instead.

This makes no sense to me, sorry. Since `target`  is already obj.__proto__,
target.__proto__ should not be returned.

> Last, but not least, `__proto__` is an `Object.prototype` property that
> has nothing to do with `Object.getPrototypeOf` .... you can redefine
> `__proto__` behavior either in the `Object.prototype` itself, through a
> proxy, or within an object, but that won't affect returned value of
> `Object.getPrototypeOf`

Fine but not relevant: the code I am analyzing would, absent my proxy,
always give the same result for Object.getPrototypeOf and __proto__.  Sure
these could be different, but in reality it doe not happen because too much
code relies on these being the same.