Spinning off a new thread...

From: es-discuss [mailto:es-discuss-boun...@mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Mark S.
Miller
Subject: RE: "use strict" VS setTimeout

> Let's just be sure that we avoid this mistake when promises grow something
> like Q's Q.delay. Promise.delay? Promise.prototype.delay?

IMO this should be a utility function that uses promises, not a feature of
promises/promise classes themselves. So it would be e.g. `global.delay` or
`import delay from "js/flow"` or something. I think in general promise utility
functions are a slippery slope and I'd feel more comfortable sliding down that
slope if we kept them in a module instead of grafting them onto the class
itself. I'd rather reserve that for things that are core to the promise
experience, either control-flow wise (`Promise.prototype.finally`, perhaps
`Promise.any`) or for pipelining (`.get`, `.call`, etc.).

BTW I definitely agree that promise-returning `delay(ms)` as a better
`setTimeout` should be part of the standard library.

(I also find the name `sleep` somewhat attractive, as a re-appropriation from
threaded contexts. `await sleep(1000)`, heh.)