But within that you would also need a distinction of CommonJS or global as
well?

One way might be to set up configuration to know which module names are of
which format:

```
System.metadata['test/*'] = {
  format: 'global'
};

System.metadata['src/node/*'] = {
  format: 'cjs'
}
```

Of course this mechanism doesn't exist by default - but you can create it
easily with the loader hooks in just a few lines.