Dean, your idea is even better as a `Promise` *subclass*.

The subclassed cancellable promises could share a cancel flag, and
throw an exception (or resolve to a different value, whichever you
like better for the API) when the cancel flag is set.  The `then`
method on `CancellablePromise` returns another `CancellablePromise`
(the spec is nicely written this way), and you use `Promise.resolve`
to cast to a standard `Promise` to end the cancellation chain at an
appropriate place.

See the `Promise.bind` implementation in `prfun` for an example of
using subclasses in this way:
https://github.com/cscott/prfun/blob/master/lib/index.js#L518
  --scott

ps. Of course, to be precise, your API would be a factory function
which makes a new subclass of `CancellablePromise` for each cancel
scope, since the Promise spec associates the state with the
constructor identity.  (I had some small issues with the "new subclass
for each X" mechanism in an earlier attempt at creating MonadicPromise
using subclasses, but I think these were ultimately resolved in the
spec---and in that case I was creating a new subclass for each call to
`Promise.resolve`, which was a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.)