    function shadow(obj, props) {
        var ret = Object.create(obj);

        for (var k in props)
            ret[k] = props[k]

        return ret;
    }

    // Elsewhere...
    function defineSomeProps (obj) {
        var defaults = { enumerable: true, writable: true, configurable:
true };

        Object.defineProperties(obj, {
            foo1: shadow(defaults, { value: 'bar1' })),
            foo2: shadow(defaults, { value: 'bar2' })),
            foo3: shadow(defaults, { value: 'bar3' })),
            // etc...
        });
    }

If people have a generic shadow() function that creates an object and
copies properties to it (less verbosely than just using Object.create),
they could be tempted to use it to create ES3-style EWC properties.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Andy Earnshaw <andyearns...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Can we be sure nobody's ever written something like this:
>
>     function shadow(obj, props) {
>         var ret = Object.create(obj);
>     }
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Andrea Giammarchi <
> andrea.giammar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My main point is that everything you get from
>> `Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor`, beside undefined or possible abrupt
>> errors, will have own properties.
>>
>> Even es5-shim/sham has been checking own properties for years [1] so I am
>> pretty confident nothing will break 'cause own properties is what
>> developers always expected and what they've always used despite specs.
>>
>> Again it's clear the world can live with these possibly inherited
>> descriptors properties but it feels very wrong on the practical level. Too
>> bad if there won't be ever a fix [2]
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/es-shims/es5-shim/issues/211#event-208821479 now
>> fixed
>>
>> [2] would a new Descriptor({ownproperties:"only"}) instance be ever
>> considered ?
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com
>> > wrote:
>>>

>>> On Dec 17, 2014, at 10:30 AM, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually simplifying as proposal: does everyone agree that if a
>>> descriptor.[[Value]] is own property no further checks on inherited [[Get]]
>>> and [[Set]], or generally speaking Accessor Property related checks, should
>>> be made ?
>>>
>>> This would already fix the `Object.prototype.get` or `.set` case since I
>>> believe nobody ever used an inherited `value` property on purpose for
>>> descriptors ... or is it?
>>>
>>> It will keep `enumerable` and `writable` still potentially problematic
>>> but at least the following code would never fail:
>>>
>>> ```js
>>> Object.prototype.get = function () {}; Object.defineProperty(
>>> Object.prototype, 'toString', Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(