> From: Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.org>
> To: Axel Rauschmayer <a...@rauschma.de>
> Cc: Arthur Stolyar <nekr.fab...@gmail.com>, es-discuss list <
es-discuss@mozilla.org>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 17:32:48 -0800
> Subject: Re: JavaScript 2015?
> I wouldn't hold my breath. Sun was not ever in the mood, even when I
checked while at Mozilla just before the Oracle acquisition closed. Also,
"the community" cannot own a trademark.

> Trademarks must be defended, or you lose them. This arguably has happened
to JavaScript. Perhaps the best course is to find out (the hard way)
whether this is so.

> /be
>
> Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
>>>
>>> This reminds me: Axel (not Alex) cannot recommend "JavaScript 2015" to
anything near the Ecma standard, because trademark. :-/

>> Ah, good point. It’d be lovely if whoever owns the trademark now
(Oracle?) could donate it to the community. Or the community buys it via
crowd-funded money.

>> --
>> Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
>> a...@rauschma.de <mailto:a...@rauschma.de>
>> rauschma.de

Would this constitute a good question to ask Oracle formally? Probably the
best and safest way to check.