Some interesting questions here.

1 - What is a character? Is it a Unicode Code Point?
2 - Should we be able to match all possible JS Strings?
3 - Should we be able to match all possible Unicode Strings?
4 - What do we do if there is a character in a String we cannot match?
5 - Do unmatchable characters match . ?
6 - Are subsections of unmatchable strings matchable if they contain only
matchable characters?

It is important to remember in these discussions that the Unicode
specification allows strings which contain unmatched surrogates. Do we want
regular expressions that can't match some Unicode strings? Do we extend the
regexp syntax to have a symbol which matches an unmatched surrogate?  How
about reserved code points?  What happens when they become assigned?

Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development
PageMail, Inc.
+1 613 542 2787 x 102