The issue you're describing exists today, and it is the main reason why we do
bundling (a la webpack, browserify, etc.).

ES6 modules are not introducing any new restriction here, it is just the way
things work. HTTP2 is suppose to help in this regards, but only a little bit.
In my experience, loading the modules is not even the biggest issue here, but
executing 500 modules is, because it will require at least an order of magnitud
more promises to be resolved, plus all the other normalization logic. This is
where "folding" might help us. Assuming you have a huge tree of modules, we
could analyze that tree and fold it into few modules that are key for the
application to function, then fetching and executing those modules should not
be a big deal, this is very similar to bundling as we know it today but without
sacrificing module semantic, and loader advanced functionalities.

In any case, this should not prevent us from writing modules using ES6 import
and export declarations today.

/caridy