There are two different aspects:

1. If you get an iterable, it sometimes matters whether iteration restarts when
you ask the iterable for an iterator.
2. Self-iterability is how iterators turn themselves into iterables so that
constructs that work with iterables can be used. It also enables generators to
play two roles: generator methods can implement `[Symbol.iterator]` and
generator functions can implement iterable-returning functions.

In this particular case, I’m interested in #1. I probably have to come up with
a better term for it.

> On 06 Apr 2015, at 23:30, Dmitry Soshnikov <dmitry.soshni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Exactly, that's what I tried to explain. Since in one case it considers just
> an iterable (an array), and in other case -- an iterator (which is by
> "coincidence" is also an iterable). But an array's iterator is an iterable as
> well, and also always returns itself for iterator protocol.
>
> Yeah, the "self-iterable" makes much more sense in this case.
>
> Dmitry
>
> On Monday, April 6, 2015, Allen Wirfs-Brock <al...@wirfs-brock.com
> <mailto:al...@wirfs-brock.com>> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 6, 2015, at 2:23 PM, Dmitry Soshnikov <dmitry.soshni...@gmail.com
> > <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > I guess all built-in iterators return themselves for `Symbol.iterator`
> > protocol. So they are all "singletons". I described in detail where
> > confusion/substitution of concepts happens in that analysis in the recent
> > two comments.
> >

> I don’t think “singleton” is the correct term for the concept that Axel is
> trying to describe.  A “singleton” is normally an kind of object for which
> there is only a single instances.  There may be many instances of, for
> example %ArrayIterator%, so it isn’t correct to call %ArrayIterator% a
> singleton
>
> What Axel is describing might be characterized as “self iterable”, it returns
> itself when recieving a Symbol.iterator request.
>
> Allen

Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
a...@rauschma.de
rauschma.de