On 16 April 2015 at 14:34, Frankie Bagnardi <f.bagna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The part that sticks out to me is... toString on functions currently
> throws a syntax error when eval'd for non-named functions.  Tested in
> chrome:
>
> var f = function(){ return 1 };eval(f.toString()); // SyntaxError
> // becausefunction(){ return 1 }; // SyntaxError
> // but, force an expression: eval("(" + f.toString() + ")") // essentially
> clones f
>
> ​
> This... is confusing in my opinion.

Yeah, the spec says:

"The string representation must have the syntax of a FunctionDeclaration
FunctionExpression, GeneratorDeclaration, GeneratorExpression,
ClassDeclaration, ClassExpression, ArrowFunction, MethodDefinition, or
GeneratorMethod depending upon the actual characteristics of the object."

which is weird. First, it doesn't really make sense, because whether
something originates from a declaration vs expression isn't a
"characteristic of the object". Second, making it return different
syntactic classes in different cases is not particularly useful for your
case.

But then again, using the result of f.toString as input to eval is A REAL
BAD IDEA anyway; toString should only be used for diagnostics, not
programmatically, because that is meaningless in general. So I personally
don't mind the friction.

/Andreas