@Alexander Jones: no new syntax is needed to implement what you want; we
already have Template Strings.  For example, you could define a new
function `RegExp.join` (which takes either an array or a string as its
first argument, see below):

```
var pattern = RegExp.join`^(abc${ "someString, escaped" }|def${ /a reg|exp/
})$`
// apply flags?
var pattern = RegExp.join('x')` abc | def \$`;
```

`RegExp.escape()` would be used internally to handle the interpolation of
an string into the regexp.  But these features are orthogonal.
 --scott