On 08/26/2015 15:08, Mark S. Miller wrote:
The force of that precedent is indeed what my objection is. The "yield" counter-example
is interesting, but "yield" is an identifier not an operator symbol, and so does not as
clearly fall within or shape operator expectations.

If someone explains a compelling need for ** I would find that interesting. But
until then...

** is a convenience, and that's the wrong criterion to apply here.  If it were,
then we wouldn't have useful conveniences like Math.cosh or arrow functions.

I'd rather read

  a*x**3 + b*x**2 + c*x + d

than

  a*Math.pow(x, 3) + b*Math.pow(x, 2) + c*x + d

    Waldemar