Well, to start with, you don't hide symbols, these are all exposed through
`Object.getOwnPropertySymbols` or Reflect.ownKeys so for your use case
looks like using just a non enumerable property would do as well.
And btw, even if Symbols don't show up in for/in and Object.keys, these are
by default also enumerable so Object.assign will copy them around (reason
I've used defineProperty with the value instead of just setting the symbol,
so it's non enumerable by default).

As summary: do you want to be sure that object has a unique "lable" or "id"
associated with it? Use WeakMaps, otherwise be prepared to possible clones
around if some library uses Object.assign thinking that's a good way to
copy properties around.

I still suggest the Labeler approach that Mark previously indicated.

Regards