I was asked to share my concerns about how bad this can be.  Here's a paper
demonstrating how one AWS virtual machine has been able to practically break
2048-bit RSA by snooping into a different virtual machine using the same kind
of shared cache timing attack.  These were both running on unmodified public
AWS, and much of the challenge was figuring out when the attacker was
co-located with the victim since AWS runs a lot of other users' stuff.  This
attack would be far easier in shared-memory ECMAScript, where you have a much
better idea of what else is running on the browser and the machine (at least in
part because you can trigger it via other APIs).

https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/898.pdf

Chrome currently mitigates this by limiting the resolution of timers to 1µs.
With any kind of shared memory multicore you can run busy-loops to increase the
attack timing surface by 3½ orders of magnitude to about 0.3ns, making these
attacks eminently practical.

    Waldemar