Essentially yes. Minor issues inline

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:32 PM, /#!/JoePea <j...@trusktr.io> wrote:

> So just to clarify, the code following an await statement should never
> run in the tick in which the await statement is executed, should never
> run in the same tick in which the promise it is awaiting gets
> resolved,

Settled.

If unresolved promise p becomes resolved to unresolved promise q, then p is
resolved but not settled.

If q is then fulfilled or rejected, then q is settled and p is settled in
the same way.

> and so should always run in a 3rd tick separate from those
> other two?

It should always run in a tick after the ticks in which those other two
events happen. However, to be fully pedantic, those other two events may
happen in one tick, so the post-await computation, happening after both,
would happen in a second tick.

Btw, I assume your "tick" is equivalent to our "turn" or "job". Tick is not
bad but neither is it clearly better. We should not introduce a third term
since we already have more than we need.

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Mark Miller <erig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Mark S. Miller <erig...@google.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not necessarily "the next tick", but some future tick. Definitely not in
> >> this tick or the tick in which the promise is resolved.
> >

> > Meant: "or the tick in which the promise is settled."
> >

> >> Definitely in its own tick.
> >>
> >> And yes, engines can always do whatever unobservable optimizations they
> >> want.

> is

> must

> >> --