I agree but at the same time those examples simply look like bad coding
practices to me and we can't completely hide from those. Since it's new
semantics we shouldn't have to worry about it breaking something existing
and it would be really easy to do a transpile back into ES5 or ES6 should
people want to use it ahead of time.

Just my 2 cents. You certainly have valid points. The only awkward thing,
in my opinion, is if we're using let and const we're going to have to allow
var as well (it would be odd that, in a single place, you can use let and
const but not var). Not sure how var should be really handled here;
probably allow it but make it a bad practice to use var in this type of
declaration. In my opinion anyway.