Jonathan Bond-Caron wrote:
On Tue Sep 20 03:38 PM, Bob Myers wrote:

People in the real world continue to wonder why they can't
pick/destructure from objects into objects, instead of just variables.

Yeah, StackOverflow is hit pretty often with people asking how to do that.

Seems like allowing to "dot" into another identifier could work:
https://tc39.github.io/ecma262/#prod-CoverInitializedName

CoverInitializedName[Yield]:
  IdentifierReference[?Yield]  Initializer[+In, ?Yield]
  IdentifierReference[?Yield]  . IdentifierName

I don't think that's the right grammar rule, but yes, I'd love to see this:

const IDENTIFIER = 1;
const sandwichesIWantToEat = { SANDWICHES.CHEESE_STEAK, SANDWICHES.SLOPPY_JOE,
IDENTIFIER };

Use the RHS identifier as the member/property name and resolve the "dot"
expression to get the value.

const sandwichesIWantToEatResult = { CHEESE_STEAK: SANDWICHES.CHEESE_STEAK,
SLOPPY_JOE: SANDWICHES.SLOPPY_JOE, IDENTIFIER: IDENTIFIER };

This simplification in object destructuring and shorthand property intialisers should be easy to add to the language and rather simple to understand. There are no grammar ambiguities, and no completely new productions, but I believe it would help a great deal. Yes, one would still have to repeat the name of the object to/from which the properties to assign/take, but that's usually rather short so it's not a large burden.

I could create a proposal repo, who would like to help?

kind regards,
 Bergi