I did a quick search and didn't find any recent mentions of this topic.

On more than one occasion I've had to determine whether something was a
plain old Object, or some other class. This involves checking that the
given object was NOT an instanceof any other acceptable class.

Array, RegExp, Function, and Class Literals all already create an Object
sub-class, so why not Object Literals?

It doesn't have to operate any differently than a standard Object does
(though it allows room for deviation in the future), just have a different
constructor so it can easily be determined whether it is a literal or not.

This would break code that uses `obj.constructor === Object`, but that code
is not always reliable since the 'constructor' property can be overwritten
without any side-effects anyway.

Are there any other major reasons why this is a bad idea?