I'll point out that encoding and evaluating JSON literally can easily
become a potential security issue, anyways (consider if a user can encode
`--></script>` in the relevant data). But you might have a point if you
consider JSONP.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016, 22:08 Richard Gibson <richard.gib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Allow me to clarify: permitting U+2028 and U+2029 in ECMAScript strings
> would allow safely embedding arbitrary JSON in the precise sense that such
> embeddings would always be syntactically valid and evaluatable Literal,
> ArrayLiteral, or ObjectLiteral expressions. That is already true of
> "__proto__" keys, even though their evaluation results in web browsers
> don't exactly match JSON.parse.

By the way, `"__proto__"` is intentionally different than `__proto__` to
avoid a gaping security hole for those using objects as dictionaries
(untrusted code causing prototypes to change is bad). The string version is
no different from any other property, while the identifier version either
gets or sets the prototype.