> Can you produce any data at all to back that up? I've never seen any appetite
> in that regard at all.
no hard data admittedly.  i regularly attend tech meetups in hong kong.  at
these gatherings, the general sentiment from frontend developers is that
creating webapps has gotten considerably more difficult with the newish
technologies.  even the local presenters for react and angular2+ at these talks
can’t hide their lack of enthusiasm for these frameworks (like they’re doing it
mainly to hustle more side-business for themselves).  on-the-job, we all
generally try to avoid taking on such technical risks, until we are inevitably
asked to by our manager.  the ones i see who are enthusiastic are typically
non-frontend-engineers who write mostly backend nodejs code, that isn’t all
that more scalable or interesting with what you can do in java/c#/ruby.

> Don't like `const`? Don't use it. Don't like arrow functions? Don't use them.
> Don't like `async`/`await`? (You guessed it.) Don't use them. Nothing other
> than unspecified behavior is any different unless you use it. (And even in
> regard to unspecified behavior [I'm thinking function declarations in blocks
> here], the committee has bent over backward to do their best to avoid
> imposing changes on it.)

this brings up the point that frontend developers have no say in these matters
when a less-than-technical pm asks them to use frameworks that all but uses
these features.  there are many of these managers in asia who copy whatever
they perceive is trending in silicon valley, with very little care about the
technical-risks they bring to projects.