On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Naveen Chawla
<naveen.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've often needed to cache array elements by a unique key each
> element has, for quick access.

Yes, please. I've needed this in every codebase I've ever worked on. For
me, having it in the standard lib would be a win. (Yes, you can easily do
it by (ab)using `reduce`, but A) It's arguably an abusage [one I'm
increasingly resigning myself to], and B) Why keep re-writing it?)

Some off-the-cuff suggestions:

1. Put it on `Object`: `Object.from`.

2. Have a Map version: `Map.from`.

3. Accept any iterable, not just an array.

4. Accept a string, Symbol, or callback: If a string or Symbol, use the
matching property as the key for the result. If a callback, use the
callback's return value (your example).

5. Optionally accept the object or map rather than creating a new one.

So something like:

`Object.from(iterable, indexer, target = Object.create(null))`

and

`Map.from(iterable, indexer, target = new Map)`

-- T.J. Crowder