Actually, by malleable I meant only configurable:true, so one can change it via
Object.defineProp… api, I did not mean necessarily to define it as value.

I have no strong opinion on what should be there after the first access, but it
boils down on how will it be exposed via Object.defineProperty, really, because
as little as possible should be changed, IOW as much as possible retained.

So on case things are defined as (only pondering the property descriptor here,
the call is obvious):

  { lazy: true, get: () => Math.random() } … [1]

or, bigger example:

  { lazy: { configurable: false }, enumerable: false, get: () => foos.length,
set: x => console.log(`set ${x}`) } … [2]

Then what should be generated is indeed a getter so that setter may be retained
as well in [2].

If the definition is:

{ lazy: { configurable: false, writable: false, enumerable: true, compute: ()
=> Math.random() }, enumerable: false } … [3]

then it defines a value (which is not enumerable until first accessed thus
created; contrived example, I know).

This post also shows a proposal how to, in future proof way, define what
attributes will the replaced getter/value have: put it In lazy field of prop
descriptor, lazy: true means shortcut for “the default way / Inherit from what
is there now”.

Herby

On June 12, 2018 2:02:28 PM GMT+02:00, Aadit M Shah <aaditms...@fastmail.fm>
wrote:
>Okay, so my previous statement about field declarations in classes
>being
>invalid was incorrect. I didn't see Andrea's link to the class field
>declarations proposal[1]. Hence, from what I understand we're
>considering the following syntax:
>const zeros = { head: , lazy tail: this };
>
>class Random {
>    lazy value = Math.random();
>}
>
>As for semantics, Herby's philosophy of "malleable unless specified
>otherwise" makes sense. Hence, the above code would be transpiled to:
>const zeros = {
>    head: ,
>    get tail() {
>        return Object.defineProperty(this, "tail", {
>            value: this
>        }).tail;
>    }
>};
>
>class Random {
>    get value() {
>        return Object.defineProperty(this, "value", {
>            value: Math.random()
>        }).value;
>    }
>}
>
>I guess we'd also be adopting the syntax for private fields and static
>fields? For example, lazy #value and lazy static #value?
>
>On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, at 7:32 AM, he...@mailbox.sk wrote:
>>

>> On June 12, 2018 11:32:22 AM GMT+02:00, Aadit M Shah
>> <aaditms...@fastmail.fm> wrote:>> Actually, from a parsing
>perspective I believe it shouldn't be too
>>> difficult to implement the `lazy name: expression` syntax. In
>>> addition, I'm not too keen on your `lazy name() { return
>expression;>> }` syntax because:
>>> 1. It's more verbose.
>>> 2. It seems to me that it's no different than creating a regular
>>>   getter:
>>>
>>> const take = (n, xs) => n ===  ? null : xs && {    head: xs.head,
>>> get
>>> tail() {        const value = take(n - 1, xs.tail);

>>> 2. https://github.com/tc39/ecma262
>>> 3. https://github.com/tc39/ecma262/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md