On 2018-07-28 16:10, Isiah Meadows wrote:
Not serializing BigInt is questionable to me but even that can be solved in
userland.

This is pretty easy for `JSON.stringify`, at least: you specify a
reviver that coerces them to numbers:

```js
JSON.stringify(object, null, (k, v) => typeof v === "bigint" ? Number(v) : v)
```

This code did not run in Chrome 67 and if it had, it would have truncated
values which is probably not what you want.

Although not super elegant, the following code works and would presumably also
work with predecessors using emulated BigInts:

```js
var object = { big: BigInt(555555555555555555555555555n).toString(),
               small: 55};
JSON.stringify(object);
```

The deserialization of that is trickier, but it's easy worked around.

By sticking to the conservative/boring approach you can use it today:

```js
var input = JSON.parse('{"big":"555555555555555555555555555","small":55}', (key,
value) =>
  key == 'big'
    ? BigInt(value) // return true BigInt
    : value     // return everything else unchanged
);
console.log(input);
```

Anders

-----

Isiah Meadows
m...@isiahmeadows.com
www.isiahmeadows.com

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Michael Theriot