I'd find it more readable to allow an assignment operator, with the
semantic "do this transformation, using the passed value as the previous
value"

```
function (x ??= 123) {} // If passed null or undefined, x = 123
function (x &&= 123) {} // If passed a truthy value, x = 123
function (x += 123) {} // Regardless of type, add 123 to x
```

That said, I can see how allowing the arithmetic-assignment (and
concat-assignment) operators could lead hard-to-debug code that uses some
"I am very smart" shortcuts, so I'd opt to start with the
logical-assignment operators