Lars Hansen wrote:
> In my opinion the following is roughly right:
>
> obj.eval(x)
>   if eval is the original global eval function then
>     if obj is an ES global object (window, frame) then
>       invoke eval as follows:
>         the scope chain holds that window (global) object only
>         the variable object is that window object
>         the value of "this" is that window object
>     else
>       this is an error
>   else
>     we don't care; invoke the method eval on obj
>
> eval(x)
>   look up "eval"
>   if the found value v is the original eval function and
>      the binding object x holding eval is an ES global object and
>      the global object on the scope chain for v is x then
>        invoke eval as follows:
>          the scope chain is the lexical chain in effect at the point of
> invocation
>          the variable object is the innermost variable object in effect
> (which is to
>              say that it excludes binding objects introduced for "let",
> "catch", named
>              function expressions, "switch type", and note also that
> code at the top
>              level of a class is static initialization code so the
> variable object
>              is the global object)
>          the value of "this" is the global object x
>   else
>     we don't care; invoke v as a normal function

Seems reasonable, although anything dealing with eval evil can get tricky.

What about the other cases such as:

obj.foo(x)
foo(x)
new foo(x)

where foo happens to contain the original eval function.  Do you try to do the
eval, throw an EvalError, or do something else?  ES3 gave the implementations a
choice of either doing the eval or throwing an EvalError.

    Waldemar