FWIW, I definitely like this proposal more than any convoluted
var-scoping block proposal.

I just don't see the value of adding var-scoping blocks for the added
parser complexity, and problematic return/break/continue.

Even if the return/break/continue problem is solved, it shouldn't just
be for var-scoping blocks - it should be generalized to first-class
Ruby-esque block.

So if we ever want to add var-scoping blocks with proper
return/break/continue, consider Ruby-esque blocks. Something like:

function treePreorder(tree, func) {
    func(tree.value);
    if (tree.left)
       treePreorder(tree.left, func);
    if (tree.right)
       treePreorder(tree.right, func);
}

function treeContains(tree, x) {
    treePreorder(some_tree, block(val) {
        if (val == x) return true;
    });
    return false;
}

Though, I'd imagine implementing this would also be difficult (at the
very least, non-trivial), and this example can be easily replaced with
one that used exceptions/try/catch anyway.

-Yuh-Ruey