Maybe we can test for existence of the package and re-direct to standard
evaluation if it does not exist? I would imagine this error is quite confusing
for someone who doesn't know what's going on.

There is another, related, but nastier error that occurs when objects are
assigned into .GlobalEnv but are shadowed by some of the objects in imported
namespaces.

  Vitale