(I am re-sending this message after seeing that my previous post is being held for the moderator because I was not recognized as a member of the list. I am a long-time member of this list, but I see my sending email address has changed slightly since the time of my initial registration to the list. Sorry if you get duplicates of my message.)

After a long absence from using ESS with R in XEmacs, I am beginning to use ESS now in Emacs. However, I have a problem when trying to use help() or C-c C-v in an R session.

While running R in emacs in text or gui mode and trying to get help by any method, I get an ESS Help buffer in a new window with only the following message:

emacsclient: file name or argument required
Try 'emacsclient --help' for more information

I can't seem to get any help page to load. I presume there is something wrong with my setup, but I can't find information about how to correct this problem. Can someone tell me what I need to do to set up ESS correctly on my system?

I include relevant system info below. Let me know if I have left something out that will help you evaluate this problem:

When I start an R session, I get the following:

> if(identical(getOption('pager'), file.path(R.home('bin'), 'pager'))) # rather take the ESS one
 +       options(pager='cat')
> options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last="'", editor='emacsclient', pager='emacsclient', help.pager='emacsclient', show.error.locations\
 =TRUE)

Fedora fc27
GNU Emacs 25.3.1
with ESS 16.10
from Fedora packages:
emacs-ess-16.10-4.fc27.noarch
emacs-common-ess-16.10-4.fc27.noarch

In my .emacs file I have:

(require 'ess-site)

(setq ess-source-directory (lambda () (concat ess-directory "src/")))
(setq ess-dump-filename-template "%s.R")
(setq auto-mode-alist (append '(("\\.[Rr]t\\'" . R-transcript-mode))
      auto-mode-alist))

> sessionInfo()
 R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28)
 Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)
 Running under: Fedora 27 (Workstation Edition)

 Matrix products: default
 BLAS/LAPACK: /usr/lib64/R/lib/libRblas.so

 locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
 [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

 attached base packages:

 [1] compiler_3.4.2 tools_3.4.2

Thanks,
Bill