Personally, I'm a dinosaur so I'm still editing Rd files myself. I must
say, I'm not convinced about the merits of roxygen2.

Having said that, I think it would make a lot of sense to have robust
solutions in ESS supporting roxygen2 and these may even exist somewhere.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 1:57 PM Dirk Eddelbuettel via ESS-help <
ess-help@r-project.org> wrote:

> On 8 October 2020 at 13:39, Jeremie Juste via ESS-help wrote:
> | Is anyone using ESS to build R packages? Could you share your workflow
> please?
>
> We all may be a little different here.
>
> ESS now wraps around devtools, but my practices predate devtools.  So I
> still
> build, test, install, ... on the command-line for which I use wrappers
> (from
> my littler package, just updated yesterday) named
>   build.r
>   check.r
>   rcc.r      # a nicer checker around rmdcheck
>   roxy.r     # run roxygen, I use a 'cached' 6.1.1 version that does not
> force recompile...
>   install.r  # plus various install* variants for BioC, or GitHub, or
> binaries...
>   kitten.r   # using a wrapper around package.skeleton()
>   render.r   # run rmarkdown::render()
> all of which are soft-linked into ~/bin or /usr/local/bin so that
> TAB-complete gets to them too.
>
> I use ESS to insert roxygen chunks though. And I regularly render Markdown
> from ESS (well, Emacs) via C-x c and (once) replacing 'make -k' with
> 'render.r filename.Rmd'
>
> It may actually make sense for _all of use_ to maybe pool for two or three
> hours and a webinar over Zoom for 'favourite ESS' tricks.  I keep
> forgetting
> how there is -- just yesterday I once again forgot C-c C-e w and looked for
> the cheat sheet pdf and there are a bootload of options I never used ...
>
> | I read the doc of ESS about using roxygen to document the functions.
> | By the way it looks like the link to [1] roxygen is broken and that
> | roxygen2 has taken its place.
>
> Yes but that happened maybe a decade ago. Most docs you find online should
> be
> newer, hopefully.
>
> | I initially thought that I could use the workflow of the [2] Roxygen
> | manual.
> |
> | [1]: <http://roxygen.org>
> | [2]:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20170324200536/http://roxygen.org/roxygen.pdf
> |
> | For convenience I reproduce it here
> | ----hello-roxygen.R-----
> | #' A package to check Roxygen's sanity
> | #' @name helloRoxygen-package
> | #' @docType package
> | NA
> |
> | ---console----
> | $ package.skeleton('helloRoxygen',
> |             code_files="hello-roxygen.R",force=TRUE)
> |
> | $ roxygen2::roxygenize("helloRoxygen")
> |
> | But I get the following warning message :
> | Warning: The existing 'helloRoxygen-package.Rd' file was not generated
> by roxygen2, and will not be overwritten.
>
> Delete or renamed, then try again. It should be written and roxygenize
> should
> then be quiet.
>
> Dirk
>
> | And the file helloRoxygen-package.Rd is not updated.
> |
> | I'll appreciate any lead on this.
> |
> | Best Regards,
> [...]

Best,
Kasper