    > Surely this behaviour is just a case of ESS being "too clever", sourcing
    > *.R files in special way when it detects that a file belongs to a package

    > The function ss() is defined inside of .ess.source(), which is defined
here:

https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/blob/5c4ae91cefa5c56fd13b204a9a996825af836a67/etc/ESSR/R/.basic.R#L168

    > If you think that there is a bug, then you could report it there ...

    > Mikael

Yes.  Unfortunately, there are quite a few other of such
instances, which are much time consuming to me (notably as
ESS/polymode then also again and again tries to gather info
about all of the 20'000+ packages in my .libPaths() .. which
slows down even opening an existing *.R file sometimes !!)

where ESS "takes over" seemlingly almost all of Emacs, including
notably often times my *shell* buffer in emacs ..

This should *REALLY* be switched to ESS-help (and
possibly/ideally github issues for ESS) now,
and so I will CC this to ESS-help only -- no longer to R-devel
(to which I'll post a pointer to this message on ESS-help).

Martin