On Friday 17 Oct 2003 3:12 pm, Microsoft information wrote:
> hello
>
> I use the ethereal with winpcap 3.01 alpha on my XP Pro box as
> administrator and my interface is detected automatically and displayed in
> my capture options interface tab.  Works fine as admin.  Then I can log in
> as "user" not in Administrator's group and the interface is in the same
> tab. However, if I start from a fresh boot on the unit, and don't open
> ethereal first as administrator, when I access the capture options as a
> regular user, the interface is not detected, and cannot be found.
> Is this a windows fault, or just a simple configuration overlook on my
> part? windows! ahhh...

http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.16

Q 5.16: I'm running Ethereal on Windows; why does some network interface on my
machine not show up in the list of interfaces in the "Interface:" field in
the dialog box popped up by "Capture->Start", and/or why does Ethereal give
me an error if I try to capture on that interface?

A: If you are running Ethereal on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or
Windows Server, and this is the first time you have run a WinPcap-based
program (such as Ethereal, or Tethereal, or WinDump, or Analyzer, or...)
since the machine was rebooted, you need to run that program from an account
with administrator privileges; once you have run such a program, you will not
need administrator privileges to run any such programs until you reboot.

Richard Urwin