On 18 October 2016 22:38, quoth Mathias Thiele:
> I do not configure pdos beause the slave does not support that according to
> the output given by "ethercat slaves":

FWIW, this does not prevent you from configuring the PDOs (as far as the
Etherlab code is concerned), it just means that the configuration that you
specify must exactly match what the slave provides.  Essentially you are
telling Etherlab what PDO content you are *expecting*.

There are some advantages to doing this:

 - If the slave turns out to have different content for some reason (eg. an
incompatible previous or future version), you will get a clear error instead of
getting corrupted data.
 - The application can start before the network is actually online; once the
slaves boot then they will automatically be configured and the application
doesn't need to be restarted.  (Assuming that the app properly responds to the
working counter or other incomplete/offline data indications, of course.)