----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Cohn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: Permissions

> >Too bad this doesn't work for Telnet also.  The user logs-in to the
> >correct directory but can move about as he wishes.  I am not sure
how
> >to implement the change in the users' shell as suggested below but
> >am still reading and trying things..
>
> The problem really is that in order to function with Unix, you need
read
> access to much of the system, and telnet just drops you at a shell,
from
> which, if you can read it, you can do stuff.  removing the execute
> permissions from a directory WILL stop you from entering that
directory,
> but that's a bit extreme.
>
> My suggestion:  Why do you allow telnet to them?  If you want them
to have
> access only to limited things, try using a BBS style program which
give you
> the ability to lock them down.... if you give them access at all.  A
few
> exist...
> try freshmeat.net

I really only want them to have FTP available.  Telnet is not
necessary at all. Am I wrong in the thought that Telnet comes with the
territory as a user on the system?   I would just as soon keep them
from anything other than FTP.  Maybe the BBS type application is an
answer. I'll check freshmeat.net as you suggested.

Dave