I found the /etc/network/interfaces however, i cant figure out the syntax
or something, it tells me that "Don't seem to have all the variables for
eth0" when i do an ifup eth0

Ive tried:

iface eth0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

 (documentation said these where required, but also tried using gateway,
and network)

I also tried in this format
        IPADDR=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        NETMASK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        BROADCAST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

all attempts failed, so i tried ifup -i /etc/network/interfaces eth0

but no matter what i do, i still get that %^*#$*@#^%#@ error message.

Jamie

  1:04am  up 121 days, 10:59,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.03, 0.01