Rob, thanks for posting that script.. I've been looking for a way to
backup vital files on Mandrake 7.02.  I'm confused, though, as to the
technical aspect of this, or most scripts.  What exactly is it doing?
What is "backup.5", etc.?

There are some directories I know that I want
to back up, then there are some areas I have no idea how to back up, for
example, how do I back up all the pop3 users on my system?  The only
access they have is pop3.. how do I maintain that setting in a backup?
How do I back up any changes done in linuxconf?  I will probably just back
everything up to one directory, like in your script, then move it over to
another computer that has a cd burner and burn the backup to a CD every
now and then.

Thanks again for your post.

james