Hmmm. I just had a shower (* where I do some of my best
             Thinking*) and the idea came to me....

             I am teaching CS 312 again this fall. What if I hand
             out some of these topics as homework/paper assignments.

             I would also like to find a way to have an outside audience
             for some of the topics. But I don't know how to get 30
             students to make a one hour presentation each... So
             I think I will have to skip that part of it.

             Would small write-ups be an interesting thing for
             me to post?

             I do have a sysadm-watchers list that is currently
             underutilized. I could put that list on the class
             mail list...

             Anyway, a loose idea floating about, I will see if I can
             hone it down some.

Seth Cohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 % Crossposted to euglug's mailing list....
 %
 % So long as you guys are looking at a list of topics (and for euglugers,
 % they have listed a bunch more since), I'm going to suggest we try to
 % cross-coordinate, and work together.  Nothing wrong with having duplicate
 % presentations (Mike's database one was popular in both towns), but this
 % way we can all hold better events...
 %
 % In Eugene, we have a real meeting room, thanks to Bob Crandall of
 % ComSource, with PCs and whiteboard.  John Sechrest has some great meeting
 % spaces in Corvallis at OSU too (btw, kudos to John for getting Hal
 % Pomerantz to come speak... stuff like that is exactly why I'd like to see
 % more...)
 %
 % Mike Smith is our meeting coordinator at this point, so I'll leave it to
 % him to pop up (Mike, are you subbed to [EMAIL PROTECTED]?) and work out
 % details.
 %
 % For topics with really popular broad topics, 2 meetings might be good,
 % maybe with a delay on the second meeting for a few months (so if the first
 % one wasn't well-done, maybe time to cancel or change) and allow planning
 % of schedules...
 %
 % For less popular topics, maybe one meeting, and the people from the other
 % town can carpool...  Unlike going to Portland, Corvallis/Eugene is a
 % reasonable trip.
 %
 % Both our groups always need volunteers to present, so anyone who wants,
 % please speak up....
 %
 % Seth
 %
 %
 % p.s. if you haven't heard, Qt is now GPL... news of the day....
 %
 %
 % > > John Sechrest wrote:
 % > >
 % > > >         For  now, here is the current list of topics:
 % > > >
 % > > > Intro   386 + 586 configurations
 % > > > Intro   Cold Fusion
 % > > > Intro   Editor Wars
 % > > > Intro   Emacs
 % > > > Intro   Emulators like Vine/Wine/VMware
 % > > > Intro   Firewalls
 % > > > Intro   GIMP
 % > > > Intro   Home Networking
 % > > > Intro   Java Script
 % > > > Intro   Linux Vs NetBSD
 % > > > Intro   Linux for Home
 % > > > Intro   Linux for Office
 % > > > Intro   Linux resources (books/mags)
 % > > > Intro   MySQL
 % > > > Intro   Open Source Installs
 % > > > Intro   PHP
 % > > > Intro   Perl
 % > > > Intro   Proxy configuration
 % > > > Intro   Python
 % > > > Intro   Regular Expressions
 % > > > Intro   Shell Wars
 % > > > Intro   TCP/IP Basics
 % > > > Intro   Which linux for me?
 % > > > Intro   Windows Games with VMware
 % > > > Intro   linux router project
 % > > > Intro   linuxconf
 % > > > Intro   make + packages +rpm
 % > > > Intro   servers/services
 % > > > Intro   small unix
 % > > > Intro   what are my config files?
 % > > > X-Adv   Emacs Wizardry
 % > > > X-Adv   MRTG - router monitoring
 % > > > X-Adv   SNMP - Simple Netowrk Monitoring
 % > > > X-Adv   System Monitoring with Big Brother
 % > > > X-Adv   Vi Wizardry
 % > > > X-Adv   parallelism + Beowolf
 % > > > X-Adv   performance Tuning
 % >

-----
CEO PEAK -              .           computers and the Internet
Public Electronic         .            more effectively
Access to Knowledge,Inc       .
1600 SW Western, Suite 180       .            Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corvallis Oregon 97333               .                  (541) 754-7325
                                            . http://www.peak.org/~sechrest