I am currently reading "Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide" by Steve
Shah.  The author states 'What the title should say is that it's a
"beginners-to-Linux guide," because we do make a few assumptions about you,
the reader.'  Anyway I'm not quite half way through it and I find it the
best book I have read on Linux so far.  It is part of Osborne's Network
Professional's Library series.  I got my copy at Borders or Barns and
Nobel, I don't remember which.  They had one copy left.

Inside the front cover the book lists that you can learn to:

Install Red Hat Linux,
Set up GNOME and KDE,
Replace Windows with Linux,
Add users,
Work from the UNIX command line,
Add a disk,
Create a boot script,
Work with LILO,
Establish file system quotas,
Use Syslog, the system logger,
Secure your server,
Understand networking fundamentals,
Set up a primary DNS server,
Configure an anonymous FTP server,
Quickstart a Web server,
Understand the differecnes between SMTP and POP,
Get secure access to your server,
Share a disk with your network via NFS,
Set up a network-wide password file with NIS,
Set up a Linux to replace Windows NT,
Print to a Windows NT printer,
Make it easy to join the network with DHCP,
Handle backups,
Set up route tables in Linux,
Set up IP masquerading,
Configure a firewall,
Create settings in /proc,
Compile the kernel for yourself,
Use the development tools included with RedHat Linux

Of course you will need to check it out for yourself to know if it
addresses your needs and style...