Whenever I am considering buying hardware, I always ask the manufacturer
if they have Linux drivers.  It's usually entertaining to read the

At linuxprinting.org, it is interesting to read how well HP printing
devices are supported, but disappointing to read that "winprinter" drivers
are used for the new Xerox digital copiers, earning a "paperweight" rating
from linuxprinting.org.  Brother got a "partial" rating, the multifunction
device I was interested in can at least print.

Ralph
---
Brother Customer:

All MFC's are designed for use with Microsoft Windows 3.1, 95, 98 Windows NT
workstation and some for Macintosh, Mac OS 8.51 or higher. Brother does not
currently support Linux, Windows CE and BeOS operating systems.

There however is a ghost driver that you can use at your own discretion*
under a LUNIX Operating System.  The ghost driver information can be
obtained at the following URL address:

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?make=Brother

You may be able to access printing capabilities by using this ghost driver,
however, any problems encountered using the unit with the this driver cannot
be supported by Brother International.

If you have any further questions or concerns, you may also contact our Fax
Customer Service Line for operational support at 1-800-284-4329 between the
hours of 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday - Friday, EST, excluding holidays.

Sincerely,

Facsimile E-mail Support
Brother International Corporation, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

ASK US FORM

* Model Name/Number:   MFC-9600
* Serial #:
* Purchase Date:

SOFTWARE QUESTIONS:

* Operating System:    Linux
* Product Used:        Work
* What Application:
* How is the product connected to your computer:  Parallel
* Brother Software Version:

TROUBLESHOOTING INFORMATION:

* What is your Question?:  Does the MFC-9600 work at all with Linux?
Are special codes required to start HP-PCL4 emulation, for
instance, in a Linux environment?
Are Brother scanners "Twain Compliant"?
Brother scanners are NOT listed at "www.twain.org"
Are Brother scanners "SANE" compatible, (http://www.mostang.com/sane/)
Thanks for your help!

CUSTOMER INFORMATION:

* Title:            Mr.
* First Name:       Ralph
* Last Name:        Zeller
* Email address:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* Company Name:
* Phone #:
* Fax #:

* Would you like to receive additional information from Brother?:  No