-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [BizNix] Thursday's meeting,
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:51:45 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SUPPRESSING SPAM MAIL
This Thursday is the meeting co-hosted by BizNix and PANUG that
focuses on suppressing spam mail. The meeting will be heavily attended
so please RSVP by replying to this email so we can have adequate
food and seating. If you're not a BizNix member, please refer to the
BizNix web site at http://www.biznix.org/join.html for information on
attending meetings as a non-member.

LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION
On December 11-14, BizNix is hosting a four-day, hands-on training
class for Linux system administrators. Refer to the BizNix web site
at http://www.biznix.org for details.

LPI CERTIFICATION
by Ed Sawicki

Yesterday I took the LPI Linux certification tests at the only VUE
testing center in Portland and learned that I'm the first person to
take the LPI tests here. I passed the tests and now I'm a, uh..
they don't actually say what I am. I went digging on the LPI
web site and learned that I'm a LPIC1, I think. Not as catchy
as MCSE or CNE. I think I'll tell people that I'm "LPI Certified".

I signed a form stating that I would not divulge test questions and
answers and I won't. However, I can be vague and generalize.
I took both the LPI tests 101 and 102. Each test allows about 1.5
hours. I finished them in 30 minutes each and then spent another
15 minutes trying to memorize the questions.

I was surprised at the level of detail in the 101 test. You really need
to know ALL of the command line options and switches for programs
such as ls, find, rpm, etc. In real life, I don't remember these. That's
why we have man pages. When you take the test, you have no man
pages.

The 101 test also has detailed questions about pipes, redirection,
STDIN, STDOUT, file handles and such. You need to review the
SYNTAX of piping and redirection before taking the test. You should
also know file permissions, process control (ps, kill, top, renice,
etc.)
and the details surrounding the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.

I paid the price by not reviewing the gory details of cron jobs before
going down for the test. I'm sure I got at least two questions wrong.

One controversial issue that keeps popping up on the LPI discussion
lists is the fact that you need to know both RPM and Debian package
management for the test. For most of us, this means that you'll have
to bone up on the "other" package manager that you never use and
don't have installed on your system. Indeed, I was asked questions
about both and in about equal amounts.

The 102 test was easier in the sense that you're not asked about
command line options and switches. I did better on this test. You need
to know the details of inetd in particular. The questions relating to
Apache
and Samba were relatively easy.

The scoring is weird. They say that test scores range from 200 to 800.
You must get 460 to pass which, if things are linear, translates to 43%.

The nice thing about the LPI tests is that questions and answers made
sense. I had only one complaint with a question that was a bit tricky
but
not wrong. This in sharp contrast to taking my Novell CNE tests
where I had complaints with at least half of the questions. I think this
is testimony to the fact that the test is designed by people who work
with Linux every day instead of professional test preparers.

Unlike the SAIR/GNU tests, the LPI tests had only one or two
qustions that could be considered "religious". That is, questions about
the Open Source movement that you don't need to know about to do
the job.